July 15, 2012

Never Say Never

I learned a long time ago that when you say that something will NEVER happen, that it most likely will. I think just because God likes to remind us that anything is possible ;)

Two weeks ago I could have posted the picture below with the title " This will NEVER happen".  Nope not in my lifetime. Not in my house. Not on MY couch!!!!!




Lol. I am so NOT a dog person. They jump, drool, pant, stink, and sniff your crotch. And don't even get me started about the hair!!

Well...after we lost 165 chickens to a raccoon the other week, we decided that perhaps an OUTDOOR farm dog is in order.  We went to the humane society and although there were some great pups, there were none I really felt comfortable with. We also were having trouble wrapping our heads around the cost of a dog.  I mean...how does a family of 6 that is trying to live without debt justify a dog?   I was beginning to think it was just not going to happen.  That was until we delivered Meat to one of our customers in the city and we met ROXY the miracle dog.

It was love at first site and for ME of all people.  I knew the moment I saw her that she was perfect.  Of course the word free helped a little ;)

She is 3 years old, trained and amazing. She barks at strangers but doesn't attack them or sniff their crotches. She loves to be around us and doesn't run down the road.  She knows where the chickens need to be and herds them back into their pasture.  She is also perfectly content inside or outside for the night. 

I don't like her spending the night inside. Mainly because we need her to bark away those raccoons and coyotes. It is a million degrees however, and I seriously think the mosquito's will eat her alive. So for now she gets to be a little spoiled until we create a comfy dog house for her.  This couch thing however is a little ridiculous.  She is VERY lucky it is super dry outside. I'm not sure what I'm going to do the moment she dares enter my house all wet and stinky.

Of course...I've learned to never to say never, so I don't doubt the next picture will be of me bathing her in MY bathtub or something ridiculous like that.

That's it for now...
Happy farming

3 comments:

Dad said...

Every kid needs a dog.
It won't be long and she will have you trained.

Kaitlin@Homemaker Design said...

Hahaha - I totally feel the same about dogs - and I grew up with them! But since moving to our own little hobby farm (in the making) I have SERIOUSLY considered getting one - but I'll learn from your post here and wait on the Lord to lead us to one. Glad she's such a good dog for you!! :)

alltheprettythings said...

She will melt you, that dog.....After Kailey died, I was so clear that I needed a break from having a dog-for all the reasons you mentioned-the hair-just having something else to take care of!.......and then Doyle-well, he got me and as I soon as I saw that face, I said "I know I said I would never get a male dog....I know I said I didn't want another dog right now....I know I said I wanted a puppy....I know I said I wanted a dog that was cheap......"........I could take the exact same picture at me house-and I wouldn't trade it for anything. He seriously brings so so so much happiness to the kids and us! You will love it. ..and for glory sake, if it protects your animals, that is just bonus!