September 03, 2011

Small Town Schools...


One of the things that is calming my nerves about sending the kids to school in a week is that we live in a small town. A very small town.  The bus driver lives down the road and drove my husband to the same school.  She is the eyes and ears of the bus and knows most of the families personally. I love that she did not hesitate to call me yesterday and invite us to become familiar with the bus and climb all over it. I love it that if there is a problem she will phone me directly.  I love that she cares about how nervous I am, and I love that she cared enough to talk to me about it.
There is a sense of community around here and I love that. I always thought that when we moved into the country I would feel lonely since our neighbors are so far away.  It is the complete opposite and I love that. Everyone waves, will drop what they are doing to help you, and are the eyes and ears for us when our children are not a home.
I have heard amazing things about the school we are going to become a part of and I'm finding out quickly that it is the heart of the teachers and families that makes it such a great school. 

We can do this. We are ready. I am ready. The backpacks and supplies are all labeled and ready to go. The school lunch food is in my cupboard and the daily routine is on the wall. 

And now I have 3 days to calm down and pretend to love every moment of this ;)

3 comments:

tammi said...

Sounds like it will be a wonderful adventure for all of you! It really is amazing the difference a bus driver can make, isn't it?! We have a wonderful one, too.

alltheprettythings said...

what is the daily routine. we are looking at creating a more formal routine this year? what kind of things have you put on yours? just wondering.. I am always curious as to other's schedules so I can get some ideas..
suzin

Sara said...

I LOVE this post. I'm more excited for your kids to start school than I am for my own. Saying lots of prayers that it's a positive, healthy experience for all of you. Can't wait to hear about their first days.