September 08, 2010

Not Going Back To School Stuff

Yesterday was the Annual Not Going Back to School Picnic. I was not sure if I was going to be there this year. O.K so I was not going to miss a chance to see my friends, but there was a very good chance I would have had only two children with me as the older two would have been in school.

It was a very difficult decision this year for a bunch of reasons. Homeschooling has worked for us for the past four years. It is not the 'school' aspect or the social part. It was and is the fact that I've been fighting a losing battle with a disease. I explained on my Fit Mom Blog that I am not going to name 'it' because doing so gives it too much power in my life. But I do have to fight it and have had to make some changes in my life to do so.

The BIG question was and will continue to be " Can I fight my disease and be strong enough to be the mother my children need me to be all day long Mon-Fri?"

The answer??

So far Adam and I still feel strongly that homeschooling is what we need to be doing. We have also been praying A LOT and the answer seems to be this.....

" Trust in the Lord with All your heart and depend NOT on your OWN understanding. Seek HIS WILL in ALL you do and He will direct your paths "

I believe now in my heart that if we are praying and trusting, that whatever decision we make for our lives He will be with us and our children. Whether it be homeschooling or school, I have peace about that now and that is a good thing.

I forgot to take pictures of the picnic but it was SO MUCH FUN!!

I love these things because they always remind me of why we made this decision years ago. There were over 30 children this year that came and went over four hours. We had the entire park to ourselves, the kids created games on their own and included whoever wanted to play. Us moms only had to step in a couple of times during a game of Toss the Acorn that got out of control ;)
The sun came out and by the end of the day the kids were playing in the sand by the beach while us moms just sat and chatted about our year ahead.

It was a good start to what will hopefully be a good year for us.

And if it isn't??

School is always an option and I will be O.K with that ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alyson,
I wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you, and will continue to pray for you!
I just finished listening to "Praise You in This Storm" By Casting Crowns and thought of you.
Your Faith is such an encouragement to me!
Take Care,
Hugs Chantele

Sara said...

If you want to chat with another Christian mom with 4 kids who home schooled and made the decision to put her kids back in school (including her son w/ Aspergers) I'd be happy to link you two on facebook. She's a military wife and living in Petawawa right now and I met her at a Coffee Hour type bible study in Edmonton (she's a baptist). I agree with you, if you continue to pray and really listen to your heart then you'll know what's right for you & your kids. I've got some resources for you that I set aside when I went through my school supplies and got ride of 95% of them.