June 18, 2009

Seven Year Follow-Up

Yesterday I headed off to the Big City for a Study that I have been a part of since I was 5. It is Called the Ottawa Language Study, and is one of the longest running Longitudinal studies in the world.

Every 7 years, they contact us and do EXTENSIVE testing.

It involves speech and language development. Basically they are scientifically studying the correlation between speech and language development in YOUTH and how it affects the child socially/economically as they age.

It is A lot of fun being part of something so big, but it is also VERY DRAINING.

There is nothing like reviewing my entire life. Talking about every singe detail and aspect of my personal life to complete strangers . Not only do they test my brain skills, but they also force me to look back on my life. My accomplishments and failures. My strengths and weaknesses.

This year was actually MUCH better than seven years ago.

This year I felt HAPPY and PROUD to talk about my life now. I surprised myself at how content I am with how my life has turned out and the way I'm living it. For once, I was not scared to tell the researchers the truth about myself.

Seven Years ago I had only been married a year, had a baby that I never expected, was a new Christian, and was SO uncertain about the direction my life was headed in. I was scared about this new life and new path God was sending me on. All I knew is that I was supporting my husband who was finishing school, about to head back to work after maternity leave and that I would NEVER EVER move to my husbands farm.

WOW....

And here I am Seven Years later..... I'm a Homeschooling stay at home mom of 3 (soon to be 4). I live on my husbands family farm and raise chickens. I am comfortable in my own skin (minus the wrinkles) and LOVE where I am at in life. I am VERY content with my marriage and life that my husband and I are creating for ourselves.

I am NOT uncertain about the future because I know that I can handle whatever comes our way, different than this or not. I am now an ADULT. Fully responsible for the choices I make and the life I create....and the life that God is carving out for us. I am in HIS hands and FINE with whatever He wants to throw at us.

How Wonderful that yesterday I was able to see that.

To Another Seven Years.....I wonder what it will look like ;)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Aw-w-w - very nice.

momofthecrazies said...

You gave me goose-bumps. You sound so content!

Anonymous said...

You know what I think is funny? How many updates I've heard from you after you've been for this follow-up. And it's every seven years... Now THAT is crazy.
I think we've known each other for about 25 or 26 years, and we've been close for 19 years. Woah...
We're old.
:)
K