September 25, 2007

The chickens are HOME!!!

The coop is all ready to receive the hens. I slaved all day yesterday and hopefully will soon enjoy the fruits of my labor.

This is the coop they are in at the In-laws down the road. They are 14 weeks and bred for meat so are quite fat. They have been fed cow grain, and only one did not make it. In the spring I will get brown hens as chicks and start from there. These gals will have to do for now.

First, we found boxes big enough to get two chickens in per box. This should be interesting

We also collected three bales of straw for the nests and eventually bedding.

This is me holding a hen. I have to admit that my father in law is the one in the coop trying to gather a petrified chicken. I panicked when they flew all over the place so this is me catching a runaway.

This is me shoving the bird in the box

This is me trying to keep the lid closed

This is me carrying the box to the truck

This is the truck ready to go down the road to our house. The chicken are quiet now. poor things.

Here they are huddled around the water. They drink the entire thing!!

Here is a shot of the canopy for rain cover. spoiled chickens :)

This is how fat they are. wow

UMMMMMMM.......there are two hens with bigger brighter red things....and two with smaller ones....Hmmmmm... Do I have two males and two females??? I'm not sure. I'm going to look into it. Won't get many eggs with males now will I.

7 comments:

Carey said...

You are a brave woman chasing down those chickens. Hope you get many eggs. I look forward to hearing how hard/easy it is to keep chickens.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hun,

You did a great job catching the chickens, and your setup looks great. I am glad dad was able to help you, as far as the male female thing, I hope you figure that out before the rest of the chickens hit the end of the line.

Your Husband,
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great series of shots, really tells the story ... :) Happy WW

tammi said...

Hey, congratulations!!!! Nice chickens! Good for you, assisting with the chasing and catching and whatnot! You are a brave woman.

Katy said...

Awww, great job!!! How fun! I still have not picked up any of our chickens.....i am too afraid too..the sqwak and make a huge fuss any time i try...freaks me out!!! LOL great job! :)

Unknown said...

I lived on a farm when i was growing up and I loved to feed the chickens and gather the eggs.

Anonymous said...

Loved your chicken essay!You did a great job! Wish my dad could have seen the place you built for the chickens. The old chicken place looks verr-ry familiar! Isn't it wonderful how the chickens talk to you when you come to see/feed them!