August 14, 2007

Mother of the Year button

So I did it....I've gone almost one month in this house SANS KRAFT DINNER!!!!!
That's right, one month without buying that cheesy yummy stuff.
I like to eat well and since moving here to the country I have made it a priority to eat MORE organic and natural. I'm trying to buy local and make even better choices for my family.
We have always eaten well but lets be honest....we all have our vices.

I have bought KD over the years for several reasons. One, it is cheap...Two, it is super easy to make...Three, my kids will eat it...and Four, it is REALLY YUMMY!!!
Yes those are my excuses.

So....ever read the ingredients to the cheese package??? really go ahead...I dare you.
I would copy it out here FYI but I don't have a box (obviously), so I will just say that it not only contains food colouring, but a bunch of chemicals I can't pronounce...not to mention preservatives. (I will share with you my thoughts on chemicals in food and growing brains another time).

I made an executive decicion....I will risk my children ripping my mother of the year button from my t-shirt and stop feeding them this horrible yet yummy stuff.

I have been pleasantly surprised by my kids. We have replaced KD with organic and/or whole wheat noodles topped with fresh basil a little butter and the cheese of the day......and they gobble it up!!!

yay for me...and the kids.

I get to keep my button after all.

4 comments:

tammi said...

Wow, I don't think I could go for a month without KD, let alone the girls!!! Good for you! I always tell myself I'll just have it on hand for days when I don't have time to make something else, but all 4 of us love it, so it ends up getting eaten a lot more than just the few times when we're rushed.

Allyson said...

Good for you Alyson. Any "prepackaged" food that says, Natural Flavourings, stay away from them. It's much harder to come up with homemade, but so much healthier!

Kate said...

We can't eat Kraft Dinner here either. Because of the ingredients. I have one kid who is allergic to sodium phosphate. She breaks out in a horrible rash. It took us three years to figure it out. Now she looks better.

Good for you. It sure isn't faster to eat healthier but it's better for you.

Kate

Christy said...

Mac n cheese is one of the hardest for me since my son is really picky! We switched to the organic Annie's Naturals kind a while back, but I have yet to come up with a homemade version that he will eat!