June 28, 2012

Mama 'Duck'



I have two ducks named Ping and Pong. I love them but they are kind of clueless when it comes to the 'birds and the bees'.  A few weeks ago one of my laying hens decided to brood. That means sit on eggs and make babies.  When he had a rooster (like for the past 4 years), NONE of my egg layers figured out that they could sit on the eggs. 

So....not sure why this CHICKEN decided to sit on DUCK eggs, and why NOW....but whatever. We now have baby ducks and it is the cutest thing I have ever seen!!!

So far she is quite protective of them. She is keeping them under her wing until the other eggs hatch.  She is also doing this cool clicking sound with her beak. I wonder if she is breaking up her food to feed to her babies. Very cool.  I feel like a proud Grandma :)


1 comment:

dad said...

How many so far?