April 22, 2010

Earth Day. Living on a Rock...Not Under one ;)


Today is earth Day. A great opportunity to clean up some garbage, talk about this wonderful planet we live on, and go to the local mall to make a bird feeder and get a FREE pine tree.
What I love about homeschooling is that we don't live UNDER a rock like some people may think. On the other hand we get to take advantage of the wonderful opportunities and adventures and programs offered in the comunity. I like that we get to do it when the crowd is thin. I like that we can meet who we want when we want at the mall for a chat. I like being able to find the opportunities for them. I like that we got Four FREE trees that we will plant in our backyard in the next week or so. ( I love free stuff!!)
I like that we can go do this and then come home and eat popcorn and watch a movie (Discovery Planet) because it is FREEZING OUT and quite gloomy. I like that this afternoon we will meet up with a bunch of other kids and moms for the learn to run course.
I just like the flexibility of it all.
That's it. Just thought I would share.
Happy Earth day.

2 comments:

alltheprettythings said...

Sounds like a great day...Yes, I have always thought the flexibility to celebrate festivals/seasonal celebrations/community events that homeschooling offers is perhaps the biggest perk.

There is always so much I want to do, take part in or even crafts and such I want to do at home that quite frankly I don't have the time to do in the few hours on weekdays we are all home together..

In saying that, I think there would also be days of course that I would rather poke my eyes out with a fork then be in my house surrounded by my "blessings" for another second!!

I guess whether traditional school, homeschool, unschool, alternative school-every mom has those days

Suzin

AnnG said...

Homeschooling at it's finest!! Flexibility is what brought me to homeschool 14 years ago and it's what keeps me going today!