April 10, 2008

Chicken examples.

O.K, I think I'm running a geriatrics ward for chickens right now. It is spring, the sun is shinning, they are outside roaming, BUT I'M NOT GETTING EGGS!!

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!! Perhaps I should motivate them by making an example of one.

Oh, I don't think I can do that.

To be honest, one of them is sick I think. She just does not move much these days. I take her down off the nest to drink, and she just sits there. Poor thing.

Also, I have a feeling that when I remove the winter straw bales, I am going to find a bunch of eggs behind there. You see my chickens are not normal. They don't lay in the nesting boxes. They lay their eggs on top of the straw bales. After a while they move too much straw and the nest kind of 'breaks'.....so I think the eggs have fallen.

We will see soon. The weather is now above zero most nights so I'm going to remove the bales before the bugs and mites come alive.

In a few weeks I'm going to get 20 more chickens, so we will see how the egg production goes. Perhaps the old gals will be jealous of the young ones, and start laying again.

2 comments:

tammi said...

Our last few nights have been above freezing as well ~ woo-hoo!!!! Our yard is an absolute disaster! How 'bout yours? I'd post pictures, but it's just so disgusting. Plus we've got a young dog that doesn't care where it does its bi'ness and has also chewed up everything it can get its mouth around and left bits and pieces of everything EVERYWHERE! Yeah, not pretty. But it means spring is here, nonetheless, so I guess I should be happy!

Hope you have fresh eggs again soon!

momofthecrazies said...

Twenty more chickens? You're going to be busy!

Sorry we missed you yesterday. Thanks for the buttons though!