February 04, 2008

There is Rhythm to Our Day

Warning: my spell check is not working and well....I can't spell.

Another little insight into our days here:

Around here, everyday is painfuly the same and yet vastly different.
Our day depends on the weather, appointments, moods and that kind of thing. Yet there are some things that are always the same if not close to the same.
Like bedtime routines, supper time, snack time. That sort of thing.

Regardless of what is going on with and around us, I have found one thing to work quite well with my kids.

It is what I call Breathe in...Breathe out. Or Inhale/Exhale for you medical folk.

Ever try to make your toddler sit for too long? Notice how sometimes they just NEED to run and move? Do they get cranky or oversitmulated?

Try this.

Think of your entire day as Inhales and Exhales. What I mean by this is some activities are 'taking stuff in' and some are 'letting it go'...o.k I'm not explaining this correctly. Here is a better example.

Breakfast (inhale)
free play (exhale)
story time (inhale)
painting whatever they want (exhale)
reading a new word (inhale)
outside play (exhale)
lunch (inhale)

You get the idea. Try to break your day up and recognize that if we make our toddlers sit still and listen and be quiet we should then provide them with the opportunity to (exhale) for a bit.

I have found that using this principle has made the entire house happier and has really helped me to understand my kids. Especially when they seem to be crazy or cranky. To be honest, this realization has helped me to enjoy them as people more and shown me that sometimes I'm just asking too much from them. Just listening to what they need has made all the difference. They will tell you when they have had enough...just pay attention to the cues...Unless of course you really want your kid to have a meltdown.

Same goes for me by the way. My running is my exhale...Young and the Restless my Inhale ;) I melt down much less often now and has helped my husband to understand and enjoy me a little better ;)

4 comments:

Candace said...

It is very true. I have the same kind of rhythm for my daughter and it works out great.

Anonymous said...

Very wise.

tammi said...

You are such a wise and creative woman!! I'm definitely going to give this a try. One of my goals for this year was to try and live my days more deliberately and I've been wondering exactly how to go about that. I think I may have found my answer!

I hope you don't mind if I mention this idea on my next "8 in 2008" update (on Feb 8) and link back to you for the details.

cathy said...

Great idea Alyson!! I am going to try that tomorrow!!