February 29, 2008

Sacrifice and Surrender

The words Sacrifice and Surrender sometimes stir up strong emotions or feelings.

Some might immediately think of the words weakness or meekness.

I don't think so.

I believe to sacrifice and surrender is sometimes a good thing. A really...really good thing.
To look beyond your own selfish desires is not a bad thing. In fact, it can be the very thing that makes you a great wife, loving mother, caring friend, and Godly Woman.

In fact...Sacrifice and Surrender is what we are called by God to do.

I used to think that was such a bad thing.

What do you mean you want me not to go after what I desire? what I believe will make ME happy? What happened to I can do whatever I want to do and you better be o.k with that?

Being a former army chick, I am not going to argue with the idea that us women can do whatever we want....but that does not mean we should...necessarily.

I thank God that He knew what I needed and where I needed to be before I ever did. I thank God He brought me to the place I am, because I would have never imagined being here. I thank God he knows what is best for me and has stopped me from doing what I thought I needed to do.

Most people Christian and non-Christian alike would agree with the biblical statement to:

"Do unto others what You would have done to you".

But do we really put that into practice? Really? All the time?

How often do we get into an argument and can only see our point of view?
How often do we just want our partners to do certain things for us?
How often do we put our own wants and desires before the ones we love?

Thinking of my husband and His needs before my own Weak? Meek? Subservient?

Ummmm no.....Biblical.

And the rewards are greater than I could have imagined. I am a Strong Christian woman, and I try to 'serve' my husband and children because it is what God called me to do.

And I'll tell you this much....Putting their needs before mine is a continuing struggle. It is much easier to be selfish and needy. I am weak when I am being selfish. I am Strong when I realize that I'm not the only person in the world with emotions, desires and needs.

Agree with me or not. I'm not saying that my position in life is what all women are called to do. It is what God has called me to do. I'm embracing that. Shockingly so.....I'm embracing it, and finding more Joy than I ever thought possible.

2 comments:

Candace said...

I have been thinking of the same things lately. Thank you for putting it into words.

tammi said...

I'm still working on that last sentence, but to the rest, I say AMEN!!